Protiviti is a consulting firm with a sincere emphasis on the value of its employees and the assets they bring to the table. Employees speak fondly of the visibility of its CEO, the support they were given by upper management, and the encouraging company culture. There are many opportunities to grow at Protiviti, and interested applicants may find a more inclusive and welcoming environment than some other firms in the industry.
Table of Contents
- Protiviti Key Stats
- Protiviti History
- Practice Areas
- Protiviti Locations
- Target Schools
- Diversity Programs
- Protiviti Culture
- Protiviti vs Deloitte
- Protiviti Careers
- Protiviti Internships
- Protiviti Interview Process
- Protiviti Interview Question Examples
- Protiviti Salary By Role
- Exit Opportunities
Protiviti Key Stats
- Protiviti Website: https://www.protiviti.com/
- Protiviti Headquarters: Menlo Park, California
- Protiviti Number of Employees: 5,000
- Protiviti Number of Locations: 96
- Protiviti Chief Executive: Joseph A. Tarantino
- Protiviti Revenue: $1.85 billion
Protiviti is a subsidiary of Robert Half, an early specialized staffing firm which was founded in 1948 by Bob and Maxine Half and is a member of the S&P 500 index. Founder Bob Half was always an advocate of nondiscriminatory hiring practices and spoke out about the inconsistencies he saw in this area in the 1960s. In the 70s, the first international location was opened in London, and in 1986, Half sold the company to Max Messsner. Throughout the 90s, the company continues to expand locations, offer more services, and bring on more employees. In the 2000s, things had significantly taken off for Robert Half and it was recognized for dozens of awards and widely acknowledged as a business which put people first and was committed to fairness and inclusion in their practices.
Protiviti was established in 2002 as a branch of Arthur Andersen’s U.S. internal audit and business risk consulting practices with about 700 employees. They’ve now grown to 5000 employees with offices on 6 continents, a major player in the consulting world. They’ve continued the rich history of bringing care and intention to the work they do through the people they hire.
- Business Performance Improvement
- Enterprise Data and Analytics
- Digital Transformation
- Innovation Services
- Internal Audit and Financial Advisory
- Managed Solutions
- Legal Consulting
- Intelligent Automation
- Operational Resilience
- Risk & Compliance
- Robotic Process Automation
- Technology Consulting
- Transaction Services
- Consumer Products & Services
- Energy & Utilities
- Financial Services
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Private Equity
- Technology, Media & Telecommunications (TMT)
|Irvine||Kansa City||Los Angeles|
|New York City||Orlando||Philadelphia|
|Richmond||Sacramento||Salt Lake City|
|San Francisco||San Jose||Seattle|
|Paris, France||Berlin, Germany||Dusseldorf, Germany|
|Frankfurt, Germany||Munich, Germany||Milan, Italy|
|Rome, Italy||Turin, Italy||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Birmingham, United Kingdom||Bristol, United Kingdom||Leeds, United Kingdom|
|London, United Kingdom||Manchester, United Kingdom||Milton Keynes, United Kingdom|
|Swindon, United Kingdom||Sofia, Bulgaria||Zurich, Switzerland|
|Manama, Bahrain||Kuwait City, Kuwait||Muscat, Omen|
|Doha, Qatar||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia||Durban, South Africa|
|Johannesburg, South Africa||Abu Dhabi, UAE||Dubai, UAE|
|Brisbane, Australia||Canberra, Australia||Melbourne, Australia|
|Perth, Australia||Sydney, Australia||Beijing, China|
|Hong Kong, China||Shanghai, China||Shenzhen, China|
|Bengaluru, India||Chennai, India||Hyderabad, India|
|Kolkata, India||Mumbai, India||New Delhi, India|
|PCC – Gurugram, India||Osaka, Japan||Tokyo, Japan|
Latin and South America
|Buenos Aires, Argentina||Belo Horizonte, Brazil||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|São Paulo, Brazil||Santiago, Chile||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Lima, Peru||Caracas, Venezuela||Bogota, Colombia|
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Delhi University
- University of Illinois-Champaign
- Texas A&M University
- University of Mumbai
- Indiana University Bloomington
- Miami University
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Indiana University – Kelley School of Business
- Florida State University
- University of Florida
Protiviti has many diversity programs and inclusivity initiatives to attempt to create a more even playing field for underrepresented groups and individuals. Below are some of those programs:
- Experienced Hire Network
- Helping those with extensive previous experience transition smoothly into working life at Protiviti
- GET IT – ‘Gender Equality in Technology and IT’
- Striving to promote gender diversity in various fields and address unique challenges that may arise because of gender through establishing a safe space for discussion, debate, and problem solving
- iGROWW – Protiviti’s Unified Internal Women’s Network Group (Initiative for Growth and Retention of Women at Work)
- Tackling women’s professional issues through networking and facilitating social community events
- Multicultural Network
- Embracing all cultures, races, ethnicities, by allowing them to feel accepted and valued, while also providing an outlet where they can discuss relevant issues and potential solutions
- ASPIRE: The Asian Social Professional Innovative and Resourceful Employees
- Endeavoring to advance Asian leadership within Protiviti and support inclusion and diversity through community involvement
- BEING: Black Employee Inclusion Network Group
- Supporting Black or African American individuals in professional pursuits through mentorship, networking, and recruitment
Protiviti will also reimburse employees for as many as two memberships in professional organizations that fall into their interests as part of their Career Development Program.
Leaving Protiviti, you would likely find yourself well prepared to move on to a Big 4 firm, or certainly into another mid-level firm like Protiviti itself. You’ll be equipped with all the necessary skills to succeed in the consulting industry.
Protiviti’s CEO, Tarantino, strongly encourages the implementation and adoption of the core values within the company culture. He has been with the company since 2002, at different points as managing director and head of the U.S. Northeast region. Tarantino has always been a key figure in the development of vision and company strategy. He also led their Global Industry Program. He’s been named one of the Glassdoor Top CEOs four times (2015, 2016, 2018, 2021).
Protiviti’s core values are:
Protiviti has been named by Forbes as one of the Best Management Consulting Firms as well as included in the 100 Best Companies to Work For and has been awarded and recognized for a plethora of positive practices. The following list is a small selection of those awards.
- Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® (2015-2022)
- Named an Adoption-Friendly Workplace by the Dave Thomas Foundation (2021)
- Named one of the ‘Best Workplaces for Consulting and Professional Services’ by Great Place to Work (2017-2021)
- Protiviti Managing Director Monica DeBellis named one of the Women Leaders in Consulting by Consulting magazine (2021)
- Protiviti Managing Director Ana Amato named a Woman of Influence by the Atlanta Business Chronicle (2021)
Protiviti vs Deloitte
When comparing Protiviti to Deloitte, it’s immediately obvious that Deloitte is far larger and more well known, but there are clear pros and cons to working with each. An obvious pro with Deloitte is the quickly recognized name and the reputation that comes with working for a Big 4 firm. Some considerations, however, include the incredible amount of competition that always hovers around Big 4 companies and because of this, pursuing a career with them is likely to require much more effort, preparation, and resolve.
Salaries are pretty comparable between the two, so there isn’t much incentive to jump to Deloitte for that reason, although the experience and reputation combined would allow you a multitude of other opportunities and open doors. A benefit of choosing a firm like Protiviti is that having a smaller team allows management to be more involved in the daily work and teaching of their interns and employees. Many past employees have shared their appreciation for the attention and support they were given here, and it’s just practically more difficult in a larger firm.
Protiviti will provide great experience for those wanting to jump into the consulting industry. Employees generally say the management is good, they feel supported, and work-life balance doesn’t feel too difficult. A common con, however, is that salaries tend to be lower than at competing firms.
They prioritize getting to know their potential employees before they’re too far into the hiring process. They believe the people on their team are the most important part of their company and its success.
Protiviti has a range of options for summer internships, offering experience in various positions and the opportunity to learn from experts in consulting.
They focus on these areas during internships:
- Client work
- Giving interns real experience working with clients.
- Learning and development
- Integrating teaching about industry expectations and practically applicable skills.
- Mentoring program
- Individual instruction and personal growth through mentorship is prioritized.
- A well-rounded experience
- Focusing not on a sole experience or teaching point, but a combination of everything necessary to prepare you for your career in consulting.
They have a solid set of plans for interns, with guidelines and milestones set up. Interns are able to set their expectations and have a clear idea of what they’re getting into and how they’re expected to perform. They can feel confident in the trajectory of their time at Protiviti.
Protiviti Interview Process
The Protiviti interview process has several stages, usually beginning with a phone interview, followed by a case interview, and sometimes final conversation with a managing director. Previous interviewees recommend thoroughly understanding the role, being prepared for behavioral questions, and personal reasons for choosing consulting. The case interviews require you to be knowledgeable about the industries you’d like to work with and be prepared to solve problems from real world examples.
Protiviti Interview Question Examples
- Tell us a time in which you received negative feedback; how did you implement it?
- How does python compare to Java?
- Describe a difficult situation and how you responded.
- What is event delegation?
- How do you manage teams?
- What are promises and how does it solve callback hell?
Protiviti Salary By Role
Senior consultant: $138,214
Technology consultant: $116,320
Managing director: $270,180
Protiviti has an admirable reputation as a firm which highly values the humans behind their success. Interns and job seekers alike can be excited about the opportunity to learn from a company with a history as lengthy and rich as Protiviti and its parent company.